Thursday

Drawing UpsideDown

This was an experiment on drawing upsidedown from a good painting site. You take an image and turn it upside down, so that all you see then is shapes, not the image and give yourself a time limit and draw it. This was my first time . Five min. a dancer in a sari on the beach. had never tried to draw a figure before, so didn't expect much, was pleasantly surprised with the result. Didn't have a pencil handy so used black ink. Some artist huh!! I could have corrected mistakes afterward, but left it as I had done it on purpose. Will do more in the future as it eliminates what your brain says you're drawing ( like an arm, leg, etc.) and leaves you to just draw shapes. Really works better!!!

2 comments:

Kerri said...

I have the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. This is one of the excercises in her book. Have you read it? I have her 2nd book too. Can't think of the name of it right now. You've probably done the 'negative space' exercises too, right? This turned out really well. Love all your paintings and will stop back again to see more.

Shez said...

Kerri Hi, Imagine my surprise when I hit my comment moderation button, to find some comments waiting for me. I'm so new at this I didn't know that the comments went there first!! LOL
So sorry for not answering sooner. Yes, I have read most of that book, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the other one, but this was from her book. It's fun to do. So is the negative space ones. Have you tried them?? Thankyou so much for your lovely comments on here. You are my first!!!